"At what point does art becomes waste?"
Lots of art everywhere - it can be a problem too. When an artist dies, his studio is full with old artworks and even when alive some of the works need a lot of space. Where can we put all these probably interesting works? Museums cannot and will not take it all, and you cannot sell even good art easily. At what point does art becomes waste? How might art as waste even cause an additional ecological problem: the over production of art as another form of consumerism?
"The artworks will stay here. I don´t know what will happen to them when I'm gone. I simply don't know."
Ossi Somma, Sculptor
Art as Problematic Waste looks into the other side of art with sensitive eyes and ears, we follow some cases and make new art from these stories. Art as problematic waste is the other side of overpriced, market oriented art. The project participates in the discussion about the changes in art paradigm and shows us a fresh perspective. The Project is dedicated to the memory of Otso Kantokorpi, Leena Luostarinen and Erkki & Papu Pirtola.
Video Installation & Documentary Film
Art as Problematic Waste contains of a Video Installation for three projectors and four loudspeakers and a Documentary Film.
- Documentary screening and panel discussion in Jyväskylä Art Museum 18th March 2023
- Documentary screening in Turku Art Academy 8th February 2023
- Triptych screening Thursday 24th November 2022 , 6:00pm to 9:00pm at
- Screening in Ossi Somma seminar at Knuutila Estate in Siuro, Nokia 27.8.2022
- Split screen installation @ University of Greenwich Galleries “Project Space”, 10 Stockwell Street, London SE10 9BD, Opening: March 6th at 6-8 pm
- Videotriptych @ Turku Art Hall 4.-27.10.2019. The opening 3.10.2019.
- Videotriptych @ Kulttuuritalo Laikku, Tampere, 7.-30.10.2019. The opening 6.10.2019.
- Documentary Film Premiere & Panel Discussion @ Kulttuuritalo Laikku, Tampere 8.10.2019 2 p.m.